Sunday, June 29, 2014

Welcome to Teachers College!

Since my first year of teaching, I was introduced to an amazing way of teaching reading and writing. A way that honors student voices, develps independence and provides rigor in studying a genre and writing like real writers write. This is the work of Lucy Calkins at Teachers College in Columbia University with the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project (TCRWP). For the past 4 years, I have been implementing and developing as a Readers and Writers Workshop teacher in Kindergarten and in a multiage classroom with 3rd and 4th graders. Additionally, since I teach in a bilingual setting (Spanish Dual Immersion), I have also been doing this work in Spanish. 

For workshop teachers, one of the most exciting and professionally fulfilling training is to go to the summer institutes at Teachers College in the summer. And this year is my lucky year! One of my collegueas and I had the oppotunity to use grant money to go to New York City and attend the institutes for 2 weeks!! We are hoping to roll up our sleeves and dig deep into learning more about how to implement writers and readers workshop. 

In this blog, I hope to summarize some of my learning and big aha moments during my time at TC. I want to share with all those other teachers learning about the workshop and for those who have not had the opportunity to attend the TCRWP Institutes in recent years. 

Since it was my first time attending, I will be enrolled in the 3-5th grade first years section of the training. I am so ready!!

Hope you can learn along side me.... 

P. S. thats me on the left ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment